Cst. Joseph Ernest Jean- Guy Daniel BOURDON – May 7, 1999

Reg. # 35689, Cst. Joseph Ernest Jean- Guy Daniel BOURDON

May 7, 1999 near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan                        Age: 40 yrs.

Cst. BOURDON was born on March 26, 1959 at Longueuil, Quebec to Ernest and Jeannine BOURDON.  He had three brothers, Jules, Jean-Pierre and Denis.  He attended schools in Boucherville, Longueuil and Montreal.   At the time of his application to the Force, he was working part-time as a dispatcher for the Boucherville Police Service.

He joined the Force as a member of Troop 9 – 1979/1980 on January 22, 1980.  Upon graduation Cst. BOURDON was posted to Maple Creek, Saskatchewan where he served on detachment and highway patrol.  On July 29, 1981, he was transferred to Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan where he performed municipal, rural and highway patrol duties.

On April 18, 1886, Cst. BOURDON was transferred to Assiniboia, Saskatchewan.  On June 1, 1991, he married Jacqueline Annette Theresa Bitz at the RCMP Chapel in Regina, Saskatchewan.

On July 31, 1992, Cst. BOURDON was transferred to Saskatoon Airport Detachment.

On March 31, 1994, he was transferred to Saskatoon Detachment.

On April 20, 1994, a daughter, Danielle was born.  Cst. BOURDON had a passion for flying, obtaining his commercial pilot’s licence.  His dream was to be transferred to RCMP Air Services.

On May 7, 1999, Cst. BOURDON was performing highway patrol duties approx. 15 kilometers south of Saskatoon on Hwy #11.  At approx. 3:08 PM, he had just finished talking with the driver of a vehicle, which then drove away.  Cst. BOURDON then turned to go back to his cruiser but flagged down another vehicle instead.  The sport utility vehicle pulled in behind the cruiser and the two vehicles were parked on the shoulder of the road when he went to the driver’s window of the vehicle.  Seconds later a semi trailer unit passed too close to the parked vehicle, striking Cst. BOURDON.  Paramedics and RCMP cruisers were on the scene in minutes and he was rushed to Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon; however, succumbed to his injuries.  A regimental funeral was held at St. Patrick Roman Catholic Church, Saskatoon followed by interment at Woodlawn Cemetery in Saskatoon.

(Service File reviewed and photo)