Cst. Daniel Lincoln KEOUGH – October 27, 1983

Reg. # 28754, Cst. Daniel Lincoln KEOUGH

October 27, 1983  Anglin Lake, Saskatchewan              Age: 33 yrs.

Cst. KEOUGH was born on April 10, 1950 at Albany, Prince Edward Island to Daniel and Laura Anne KEOUGH.  He had seven 7 siblings; 5 brothers, Gabriel Chester, Wayne George, Grant James, Gary David and Gregory Edward and 2 sisters, Judy Marie and Dawn Elizabeth.  He attended Kinkora Regional High School, Kinkora, P.E.I. and Athena Regional High School, Summerside, P.E.I.

Cst. KEOUGH joined the Force on March 10, 1971 as a member of Troop 25 – 1970/71.  Upon graduation from Basic Recruit Training on September 13, 1971, he was posted to Humboldt, Saskatchewan.  He was transferred to Shellbrook, Sask. on June 6, 1972.  He was then transferred to Melfort, Saskatchewan on September 12, 1972.

He married teacher, Jean Deborah  GILLIS at Summerside, P.E.I. on May 26, 1973.

Daughter, Andrea Dawn was born at Melfort, Sask. on January 10, 1975.  Daughter, Danielle Deborah was also born at Melfort, Sask. on June 14, 1977.  He was transferred to Hafford on July 15, 1977. Daughter, Rebecca Ashleigh was born on June 12, 1981.

He was transferred to Waskesiu Lake Det. On July 31,1982

He was very active in the communities he policed with participating in hockey, golf and karate.

It was 7:30 Thursday morning, on October 17, 1983 and Deborah Keough was on her way to work.  She was a teacher at the Christopher Lake elementary school and liked to get there early.  With her in the car were two of her small children, who attended primary grades at the school.  After leaving their house in Waskesiu Lake in Prince Albert National Park, Debbie was driving south on Highway #3.  About 15 miles from home, she noticed the cars ahead of her slowing down and saw that an accident had taken place.  On the side of the road, there were two badly damaged vehicles.  One was an ambulance and the other was a police car.  Another RCMP cruiser had arrived to help out at the scene.  The officers and other civilians were using the jawsof-life to free an injured policeman from his vehicle.

Debbie tried to stay calm, but was overwhelmed by a rush of anxiety.  Her husband, Lincoln, was a Mountie and she knew he was out on patrol that morning.  In a few minutes her worst fears were confirmed.  It was Lincoln in the damaged police car and he was badly hurt.  She was told that, while Lincoln was responding to an earlier collision on Highway #2, he had gone around a curve on the twisting roadway and side-swiped an ambulance that was leaving the scene of the first accident.  Debbie watched as Lincoln was lifted into yet another ambulance and rushed to the hospital in Prince Albert.  His need for medical attention en route left no room for her to ride in the ambulance.  The rest of the day was a blur for Debbie Keough.

When Cst. KEOUGH arrived at Prince Albert, they found his internal injuries so serious that they were forced to move him to the Trauma Unit at University Hospital in Saskatoon.  Debbie flew there to be with him and waited outside the operating room while they attended to his ruptured spleen.  He died at half past one that afternoon.  For Debbie Keough, it was the classic nightmare of a policeman’s wife – sudden death of her husband, and she left alone to raise three small children.

Debbie and Lincoln had met in high school in Kinkora, on Prince Edward Island.

More than 1,000 people attended Lincoln’s memorial service on October 31, 1983 at the Sacred Heart Cathedral, Prince Albert, Sask.  There was another service at St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church in Seven Mile Bay, Prince Edward Island, and Cst. KEOUGH was laid to rest in the little cemetery by the church.

(Personnel File reviewed) Troop photo available)